Depression seems to be common in the western society. Depression has a wide range of meanings - feeling depressed at the moment, feeling sad or down for an extended period, or feeling so down that you would rather not be here. The following are some criteria for clinical depression, or Major Depressive Disorder, according to the DSM-5:
- Depressed mood
- Decreased interest or pleasure in activities
- Weight, appetite, and/or sleep changes
- Feeling worthlessness or excessive guilt
- Difficulty concentrating
- Thoughts of death or suicide
There are many ways to treat depression, including using your tried-and-true coping skills and adding new healthy coping skills. You can also call your therapist or set up an appointment with a mental health professional.What is depression?
One way to treat depression is to "deprive your depression." This takes an active view on depression as depression would prefer that you continue to feed your depression so it can maintain itself or continue to grow. Depression can be very selfish in the most negative way. Depression would rather you isolate yourself from others, give in to the eating and sleeping changes, choose not to exercise, and not to obtain help or support from others.
The following are ways you can inhibit your depression from growing and "Deprive your Depression"
- Be sure to talk to others on a daily basis
- Exercise 2-3 times a week, even if it's just 5 push ups
- Go for a hike
- Start an art project (coloring, drawing, knitting, crafts, etc)
- Write in your journal
- Sit on the beach
- Listen, sing, or play music
- Do yoga
- Allow yourself to sleep only for the typical number of hours
- Eat only at your typical meals
- Do one thing that you used to enjoy
- Talk to your therapist
You can do any of the above ideas or create your own. Your challenge this week - do one thing to Deprive your Depression today!